Dec. 3, 2023
Since 2017, CIM has been a Gold Level Sustainability Certificatied race through the Council for Responsible Sport for producing a socially and environmentally responsible event. This multifaceted certification has only been completed by a handful of marathons across the nation.
In 2022, CIM will continue to implement sustainable practices and work with local and national partners to improve our processes. Our goal is to be recognized as the gold standard for sustainable events in our region. Please join us in these efforts.
Help CIM continue to be a Force for Good:
- New or gently used clothing or shoes to Goodwill at the Expo
- Throw us your discarded clothes at the start line. Volunteers will be waiting
- Make a donation to one of our partner charities when you register for your next race
THINK TWICE: Find the right space for your waste!
- Use the “Sustainability Stations” at the Expo, Start Line, on Course, and at the Finish Line
- Recycling your nutrition wrappers in the Terracycle bins along the course
- Use the water monster to refill water bottles and eliminate one-time use plastic bottles
RIDE or BIKE:
- Take FREE Regional Transit (RT) light rail or buses to or from the Expo or on race day
- RT Passes are available online and at the Expo
- Use the FREE SABA bike valet on the Capitol Mall on race day (Sunday)
The California International Marathon at work
The Sacramento Running Association (SRA) strives to have a positive impact on our communities. CIM currently:
GENERATES: a positive $11 million annual economic impact on the City of Sacramento
RAISES: more than $500,000 for local charities and community organizations through leveraged fundraising and direct giving every year
DIVERTS: nearly 4 tons — almost 7,000 pounds! — of trash from local landfills every race weekend, has removed 15,000 one time use plastic water bottles from the race, and composts near 250,000 water and Nuun cups
DONATES: more than $40,000 annually to the American River Parkway Foundation and the UC Davis Children’s Hospital
With your help, the California International Marathon will continue to be an exceptional sustainable event. The Sacramento Running Association hopes to implement sustainable practices across all their events and set the gold standard for events in the region.
Our Sustainability Partners
SMUD is proud to be the Official Clean PowerCity Partner of the Sacramento Running Association and California International Marathon. As your community-owned, not-for-profit electric service, SMUD is committed to 100% carbon-free power by 2030. Anyone can join the charge. Click here for 37 clean power tips and help us lead the global Clean PowerCity movement right here at home.