Dec. 8, 2024
California International Marathon Relay General Information
Date / Time / Place:
The relay will begin promptly at 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, December 3, 2023, near the Folsom Dam in Folsom. The scenic 26-mile, 385-yard course runs from Folsom Dam to the State Capitol in Sacramento. The relay is held at the same time and on the same course as the individuals’ marathon.
• The relay exchange zone is located at mile 13.4.
• Runner one will run 13.4 miles.
• Runner two will run 12.8 miles.
Getting Back to the Finish:
Buses will be on-site at the Relay Exchange Zone to take relay runners back to the Finish Festival
- The marathon course route re-opens at a 6-hour finish time (13:44 minutes/mile pace)
- A California Highway Patrolman in a vehicle traveling at approximately 13:44 minutes per mile will open the roads behind his car to regular traffic.
- If you are behind this vehicle, you must proceed on the road shoulders or sidewalks, and you are subject to pedestrian traffic laws of the City or the County of Sacramento.
- No race services (fluid stations, mile splits, traffic controls) will be available on the course for runners progressing slower than the 13:44 minute/mile pace.
- Race management will attempt to provide, but cannot guarantee, race medals, finish times, and refreshments to runners finishing after 6 hours.
- There is no “double dipping” between the marathon and the relay. Runners must chose one event or the other.
- Each relay team member must run only the leg assigned to that runner. Team members must not join the member running the final leg at any time, especially not as they run the stretch to the finish.
- All teams will have their race day photos and video audited, any team that consists of only one runner running the full marathon distance will be disqualified. The relay is intended for 2-person teams ONLY!
Please visit the CIM Event Rules page for additional information.
All CIM participants must wear an official race number on the front of their body, pinned to their outer layer of clothing. Numbers must be fully visible at all times (not cut, folded or obscured). Runners who run without their bib properly attached and displayed risk not having their finish time and split times recorded and not being listed in the results. At Packet Pick-up each team will receive a timing chip attached to an ankle bracelet which must be passed from runner to runner. Relay runners will be timed by this chip.
THERE ARE NO GEAR CHECK SERVICES OFFERED AT THE START LINE. Gear check services are available during operating hours at the CIM Expo and during Bus Loading at the SAFE Credit Union Convention Center.
Gear Check operating hours at the SAFE Credit Union Convention Center:
- Friday, December 1 at the CIM Expo – Between 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Saturday, December 2 at the CIM Expo – Between 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Sunday, December 3 outside the SAFE Credit Union Convention Center’s west lobby between 13th Street and 14th Street – Between 4:00 am – 5:00 am
Any items taken on buses, shuttles, or to the start area will NOT be returned to you. All items discarded at the start line or in the first 2 miles of the course will be donated to local charities.
If there are personal items or clothing that you want at the finish line after the race, you can use the Gear Check services listed above.
Gear Check Information:
If there are personal items or clothing that you want at the finish line after the race, you can use our complimentary Gear Check service. Gear check bags are provided at the CIM Expo and gear can be dropped off at the CIM Expo at the SAFE Credit Union Convention Center on Friday or Saturday during Expo hours or BEFORE loading buses downtown at the SAFE Credit Union Convention Center on Sunday morning before 5:00 am. Gear will be transported to the finish area for pick-up by participants after the race.
Retrieving Gear Bags After the Race in the CIM Finish Area:
- Sunday December 3 at the Finish Area
- Bags will be transported from SAFE Credit Union Convention Center and available for pick-up by participants in the CIM Finish Area
Gear Check Reminders:
- Only official clear gear check bags provided at packet pick-up will be accepted
- Clearly write bib number on bag with provided permanent markers
- Event is not responsible for lost or damaged items
- NO gear check services are provided in the start area; any gear discarded at the start will be thrown away or donated
- If you are a nursing mother, read about our Lactation Station
- Participants retrieve their gear check items in the Finish Area after the race; bags will be transported from the Expo/Convention Center to the Finish Area on race morning
- Gear Check bags not retrieved on race day in the finish area will be held by race management for 2 weeks after the race; it is the participant’s responsibility to contact race management to coordinate retrieval of their items within two weeks of race day
- There will be 17 aid stations staffed by cheering volunteers from local schools, service clubs, and community groups.
- Each will have water, an electrolyte replenisher fluid, medical supplies, medical personnel, and portable toilets.
- Flavor and brand of electrolyte replenisher fluid available on the course will be announced shortly.
- GU Energy Gel and fruit will be provided at 4 locations on the course.
- GU supplies and flavors will vary. If you are dependent on nutrition supplements like these, be sure to carry your own in case you miss the hand outs or the supplies run out.
- Medical assistance will be available at all Relay exchange areas and most aid stations as well as the finish line.
- Portable toilets will be located at each aid station and relay exchange zone along the course.
All relay division awards will be mailed 4-6 weeks following the event.