Gold Rush 50k General Information
Please note: The 2017 Gold Rush 50k has changed venues!
Due to trail access issues, we are forced to change venues and courses for the 2017 Gold Rush 50k and Relay. The event will now take place on the Jedediah Smith Memorial Trail, with a start and finish near Guy West Bridge utilizing a 5-mile mostly paved loop along the American River Parkway.
May 13, 2017
Coming Wednesday, 5/10
7:00 am (Please note: This is a recent change from the previously-stated 6:30am start time.)
4:00 pm (Please note: Despite the later start time, we are keeping our generous 9-hour course cut-off time.)
Race Start/Finish/Relay Exchange Location:
Alumni Grove (south side of Guy West Bridge)
Parking will be in Lot 4 and PS II on the Sacramento State University campus. Click here for a campus parking map. (Type “Parking Lot 4 (north)” or “Parking Structure II (PSII)” into the search bar to highlight these areas on the map.)
Please note: All participants will receive a Sac State parking day pass valid for these lots in the “Final Instructions” email. If you didn’t receive or have lost this pass, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of race day or stop by the packet pick-up tent on race day to pick one up.
Start Line Shuttle:
5:15 AM depart from Lake Natoma Inn
Please note: Due to the new multi-loop course with a common Start/Finish, there is no longer a Start Line shuttle as it is not needed.
Leg 2 Relay Runners
7:30 AM depart from Lake Natoma Inn
Leg 1 relay runners will be provided with a shuttle back to race finish from the relay exchange.
Please note: Due to the new multi-loop course with a common Start/Finish, there is no longer a Relay shuttle as it is not needed.
Race distance will be approximately 50k. The exact distance each participant runs will vary according to the way they run the course trail. Different GPS devices will have variations in distances.
Rules and Guidelines for All Entrants:
- No one other than the runner who officially registered may use the bib number with timing tag issued to that runner. Transferring and/or selling your bib is illegal.
- Bib numbers must not be altered, should be worn on the front of the runner, and be clearly visible at all times.
- Start on time. No late starts. The cut offs will be strictly enforced. If you choose to continue after failing to make a cut off time, you will not be allowed to register for future Gold Rush 50k events.
- Runners must follow the marked trail at all times. Any runner departing from the official trail must return to the point of departure on foot before continuing.
- Each runner must complete the entire course under his/her own power, without any physical or mechanical aids, including ski poles and walking sticks.
- Runners may not accept aid or assistance in any form from anyone between aid stations, except in case of medical emergency.
- Runners may not store supplies of any kind along the trail.
- Each runner must be checked IN and checked OUT of all aid stations.
- Medical personnel have complete authority to evaluate the condition of any runner at any time and to determine whether the runner may continue.
Route Rules and Etiquette:
- Absolutely no littering; those who litter are subject to disqualification. Carry trash to the next aid station or available trash cans along the trails.
- Be aware! Runners must be aware of their surroundings at all times.
- Please be aware of all other forms of traffic. This is NOT a closed trail event, so you may encounter pedestrians, other runners, bikes, and horses. Follow Parkway right-of-way rules at all times!
- Follow all course monitor directions. They are there for your safety.
- Please use park bathroom facilities.
- Use of headphones is discouraged. If you must use headphones, we encourage you to go “one in, one out” to still be aware of surroundings and to be able to hear race officials’ announcements and other environmental noise
- 4:00pm: Finish line closes (9 hours after new 7:00am start time)
- Runners who do not complete Lap 5 by 2:36pm (9 hour pace) will not be allowed to continue
- The cut off will be strictly enforced. If you choose to continue after failing to make a cut off time, you may not be allowed to register for future Gold Rush 50k events.
- There will be no pacers allowed on course.
- If you need to drop from the race, proceed to the closest Aid Station and notify the Aid Station captain.
- Aid station personnel will record your name and bib number and transport you back to the finish line (if necessary) or alert medical to staff to do so (if necessary)
Aid Station and Medical Information:
Aid station and medical information is on the Course Details page located HERE.
Gear Check/Drop Bags:
- There is no “Gear Check” at this event.
- All runners will be able to leave a “Drop Bag” with anything they can put “on them or in them” (okay: special fluids or fuel, fresh socks or shirt, Tecnu or sunscreen; not okay: tents, chairs, large coolers) in a designated area on the side of the trail at the Start/Finish area
Custom awards will be presented to the overall male and female winners, and to the top three finishers in the following age divisions: 18-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, over 70 and top three relay teams.