GETTING TO THE START
Runners are not permitted to be dropped off near the Start Line. All runners must use one of the Buses or Shuttles provided. Be sure to know which bus or shuttle you plan to use before race day.
What is the difference between a Bus and Shuttle?
- Leave from Finish Line Area (Location A) and near select Partner Hotels (Locations B, C, D) (check with hotel for parking availability, prices)
- Return buses available after the race from finish to select Partner Hotel locations B, C, and D.
- Upon arrival at the Start Area, runners can remain on buses until shortly before the start
- 3 drop-off locations available near start area
- Runner drop-off only: no parking available, no return bus from Finish Area
- Shuttles run on a loop so runners must exit upon arrival to the Start Area
Finish Area Gear Check
New this year! THERE ARE NO GEAR CHECK SERVICES OFFERED AT THE START LINE. Gear check services are provided in the FINISH AREA ONLY. Any items taken on buses, shuttles, or to the start area will NOT be returned to you. All items discarded at the start line or in the first 2 miles of the course will be donated to local charities.
Finish Area Gear Check Location - 10th Street in front of the State Capitol
Saturday, December 4 — 10:30 am-6:00 pm
**Note: All participants dropping off gear on Saturday will receive FREE pair of running gloves courtesy UC Davis Health. While supplies last.
Sunday, December 5 — 4:00 am-4:45 am (prior to bus load near Location A)**Note: We recommend dropping off on Saturday to avoid race day lines and stress.
SELF-SEEDED START STAGING AREAS
There are 6 entrances to the Start Staging Areas available to runners, sorted by your expected finish time; these are NOT assigned corrals. Please review the corral schedule HERE and on race day line up in the appropriate pace range so you and all of your fellow runners will have a fair start and a chance to perform your best.
FUELING AND HYDRATION
The California International Marathon will have 17 aid stations spread throughout the course, each stocked with water and nuun performance. Four of these stops will also be stocked with GU Gels, GU Chews, and fruit. Click HERE for more on-course fueling and hydration information.
The current weather forecast calls for the morning low at the Start Line in Folsom to be in the mid-40s, with highs at the Finish Line in Sacramento in the low-50s under partly cloudy skies. Check the weather conditions before you leave your hotel room on race morning. Here are some race day tips that apply regardless of the weather:
- Dress in layers! You can always shed unwanted clothing at the start line and the first two aid stations. Look for the volunteers waving the "Throw Me Your Clothes" signs. Do not litter the streets with unwanted clothing we have designated bins. Clothes shed at the start and on the course will be donated to a non-profit - you will NOT get them back.
- Stay on the bus! If you rode the bus to the start, stay on the bus. Runners are allowed to stay on the buses until 15 minutes prior to the start of the race.
Click HERE to view the spectator information page-and then send the link to all your adoring fans! This page has information on parking tips, directions to the best spectator locations and the course entertainment list.
The best spots on the course for spectators are...
- Old Town Fair Oaks - Mile 10
- Fair Oaks Boulevard and Manzanita Avenue - Mile 13.5
- Loehmann's Plaza - Mile 20.4
- California State Capitol - Finish Festival
The road closure schedule can be viewed by clicking HERE. For up to date road closure information and closure avoidance we recommend using the WAZE app who have partnered with the California International Marathon.