A mile-by-mile look at the California International Marathon schedule
The 37th annual California International Marathon, organized by the Sacramento Running Association, will run from Folsom to Sacramento on Sunday, Dec. 8 starting at 7 a.m.
Race weekend will begin with the second edition of the Capitol 5k and the UC Davis Children’s Hospital maraFUNrun 5k on Saturday, Dec. 7 at 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., respectively. 5,000 runners are expected for the Saturday 5ks, while nearly 10,000 marathoners and 3,000 relay runners are expected for the marathon on Sunday.
Below are the scheduled road closures, mile-by-mile and including major streets, for Sunday’s 26.2-mile race from Folsom to the state Capitol:
MILE – CLOSURE TIME : LOCATION
1 – 5:20 a.m.-7:50 a.m.: Oak Ave.
2 – 5:20-8:05: American River Canyon Dr.
5:20-8:05: Santa Juanita & Oak Ave.
3 – 6:50-8:20: April & Oak Ave.
4 – 6:50-8:30: Beach & Oak Ave.
5 – 6:50-8:45: Wachtel
6 – 6:50-9:00: Fair Oaks Blvd. & Oak Ave.
7 – 6:50-9:15: Woodlake Hills & Fair Oaks Blvd.
8 – 7:05-9:30: Niessen & Fair Oaks Blvd.
7:05-9:40: Madison Ave.
9 – 7:05-9:50: Dorian & Fair Oaks Blvd.
10 – 7:05-10:00: Main & Fair Oaks Blvd.
7:05-10:05: Sunrise Blvd.
11 – 7:05-10:15: New York Ave. & Fair Oaks Blvd.
12 – 7:05-10:30: Hollister & Fair Oaks Blvd.
13 – 7:05-10:45: California & Fair Oaks Blvd.
7:05-11:00: Manzanita Ave.
14 – 7:30-11:00: Grant & Fair Oaks Blvd.
15 – 7:30-11:15: Kenneth Ave. & Fair Oaks Blvd.
16 – 7:30-11:30: Garfield & Fair Oaks Blvd.
17 – 7:30-11:45: Paloma & Fair Oaks Blvd.
18 – 7:30-12:00: Saverien & Fair Oaks Bvd.
19 – 7:30-12:15: Coronado and Fair Oaks Blvd.
7:30-1:00: Watt Ave.
20 – 7:30- 1:00: Hawthorne & Fair Oaks Blvd.
21 – 7:30-1:00: University & Fair Oaks Blvd.
8:00-1:00: Howe Ave.
22 – 8:00-1:00: Carlson & J Street
23 – 8:00-1:30: Bear Flag & J Street
24 – 8:00-1:45: 33rd & J Street
8:00-1:45: Alhambra Blvd.
8:00-2:00: L Street
25 – 8:00-2:05: 22nd & L Street
7:00-2:10: 15th & L Street
26 – 7:00-2:15: 8th & L Street
Additional road closures and important information:
- The Capitol Mall between 8th St and 9th St will be closed beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, 12/6 until 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, 12/8.
- 9th St between N St and L St will be closed beginning at 2:00pm on Friday, 12/6 until 5:00pm on Sunday, 12/8.
- 8th St and 10th St between N St and L St will be closed beginning at 6:00am on Saturday, 12/7 until 5:00pm on Sunday, 12/8
- Folsom-Auburn Road to the north of the start area is closed race day to through traffic at the intersection of Eureka Road beginning at 3:00 a.m. and reopening at 9:30 a.m. Please note: The north drop-off location has become Shuttle Location 3. Your bib will not get you through the road closure at Eureka Rd. All runners must take official buses to the start line.
- After the first, very fast hand crank wheelchair racer, there will be large gaps between other racers, and intersections staffed by law enforcement may very carefully wave through traffic, when possible.
- Slower runners might fall behind the reopen times shown above. In such cases, the runners are pedestrians responsible for heeding normal traffic laws.
- Regular traffic will be allowed on the course by the law enforcement personnel reopening the course according to the times in the table above.
A race day spectator guide can be found online at runcim.org.
The Sacramento Running Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to finding ways to encourage people of all ages and abilities to run. The SRA is committed to developing new, quality running events that appeal to a broad variety of runners.