Post-workout recipe: Spinach and Feta Egg Muffins
This recipe is a wonderful post-competition meal because of its higher protein content. After a workout or an event, you should eat a meal that is 3:1, carbohydrates to protein; higher than the 4:1 ratio needed pre-workout or pre-competition.
The higher protein provided by the eggs will speed your recovery by furnishing the materials necessary for muscle repair and maintenance. Your immune system will thank you as well since intense exercise impairs our immune function temporarily. The 2-3 hours after a workout is your most susceptible time for catching a cold or other communicable disease. The higher protein meal will help prevent this.
Eggs provide the highest Biological Value (BV) protein of all protein sources. The BV is a score that is given to a protein source after analysis of its essential amino acid content as well as its biochemical availability in the human digestive tract.
This recipe makes enough for 12 people at one setting or plenty to freeze and have another day. Put three muffins (one serving) in a baggie and store in freezer for up to a week. When you are ready to eat, put the baggie in the microwave for 30 seconds and enjoy your egg muffins! These make nice snacks or a satisfying entree when served with a salad and whole grain rolls.
Spinach and Feta Egg Muffins
10 egg whites
4 whole eggs
½ C nonfat milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ C frozen spinach, chopped
½ C feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg whites and eggs. Whisk in nonfat milk and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in chopped spinach.
- Grease muffin tin cups with cooking spray or line cups with paper liners.
- Pour egg mixture into the muffin cups, ¾ full.
- Distribute feta cheese equally over the tops.
- Bake egg muffins for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are firm in the center.
- Remove from oven and gently go around each egg with a butter knife.
- Serve warm.
|Carbs||3g||Total calories = 180 kcal|
|Protein||21g||1 serving = 3 muffins|
|Fats||9g||Cost per serving = $1.88|
The post Post-workout recipe: Spinach and Feta Egg Muffins appeared first on Sacramento Running Association.